Our Vision for the Curriculum
- At Gleadless, children develop excellent understanding and secure knowledge of the world around them through strong teaching of our well-sequenced curriculum.
- Reading is prioritised in our curriculum, offering children a door onto experiences beyond their own
- Children have a range of learning experiences and enrichment opportunities which spark curiosity and promote a love of learning.
- Children learn that they have a voice and how to use that voice. They leave Gleadless as confident and considerate communicators.
- At Gleadless, children participate in experiences which foster a strong sense of identity and pride in that identity as well as curiosity and confidence about participating in the wider world
Developing Knowledgeable Learners
Our ambitious Learning Challenge Curriculum uses the National Curriculum as its starting point. It has been carefully sequenced so that all children learn essential knowledge and skills which prepare them well for the next step in their education journey. Regular retrieval practice is deliberately planned within this sequence to ensure pupils know more and remember more over time. Our long term and medium term planning takes into account pupils’ prior learning and experiences. It identifies the key concepts, knowledge and skills which need to be embedded in pupils’ long-term memory.
Our Values shape our Curriculum
Our school’s Core Values inform our Curriculum focus in each half term. Each term we have a values-inspired Big Idea which shapes our curriculum and authentic outcome the children work towards.
Autumn Term Big Idea
Subject Driver: Geography
We respect our world; we respect all people
Spring Term Big Idea
Subject Driver: History
People’s actions and ideas can make the world better
Summer Term Big Idea
Subject Driver: Science
We can figure things out together