Our Vision for the Curriculum
Our Vision for our School
Gleadless is a caring school where we love learning and always aim high.
We develop respectful, safe and inclusive relationships with each other and our community.
Our school prepares children for success, enabling them to make aspirational choices for themselves and positive contributions to the wider world.
Our Vision for our Curriculum
- At Gleadless, children develop excellent understanding and secure knowledge of the world around them through strong teaching of our well-sequenced curriculum.
- Reading is prioritised in our curriculum, offering children a door onto experiences beyond their own
- Children have a range of learning experiences and enrichment opportunities which spark curiosity and promote a love of learning.
- Children learn that they have a voice and how to use that voice. They leave Gleadless as confident and considerate communicators.
- At Gleadless, children participate in experiences which foster a strong sense of identity and pride in that identity as well as curiosity and confidence about participating in the wider world
Developing Knowledgeable Learners
Our ambitious Gleadless curriculum uses the National Curriculum as its starting point. It has been carefully sequenced so that all children learn essential knowledge and skills in each subject area, preparing them well for the next step in their education journey. Retrieval practice is deliberately planned within this sequence to ensure pupils know more and remember more over time. Our long term and medium term planning takes into account pupils’ prior learning and experiences. It identifies the key concepts, knowledge and skills which, through excellent teaching, are embedded in pupils’ long-term memories. The planned development of oracy skills is a strength of our curriculum, evident in every lesson.